This morning it was incredibly cold on the mountain and I woke up shivering and swaddled in my baby blanket. During the night I'd dreamed that I had faked my death and was a fugitive from the law - it was probably a scary dream, but I mostly remember my rad sundresses. To warm up and remind myself of reality (my rad sundresses are at home), I scheduled a pleasant morning of sketching and baking.I made some Earl Grey tea and slathered bread with Cranberry Apple Jam, then cozied my pajama-ed bod in several blankets and dogs. Louie chose to gnaw and nap in perfectly sketchable locations, so here are two doodles in pen of the lovely hound, Lady Louis.
I have two favorite flavors of food: carbohydrate and fruity. I wanted to make a combination of the two for brunchish creations, but the ingredients here limited me to prune-apricot biscotti. Given the dubious nature of prunes, I forwent fruity-carbs in favor of plain old carbs.
Here's the recipe I picked for the morning's baking adventure: Morning Glory Muffins! Let me make a general disclaimer: I never follow the recipe exactly. Here's my interpretation of the recipe:
- Combine 2c flour, 1c brown sugar (plus more accidentally), 2tsp baking soda, general shakes of ginger and cinnamon, a little thing of salt. Stir 'em up.
- Wash, peel, and grate like 7 cute lil carrots from Clear Brook. Wash and grate a big ole apple. Slunk them into the dry ingredients. Mix. Taste. Taste again. Add more sugar (like a small bit).
- Mix in two handfuls of coconut and 1/2c wheat germ.
- Separately mix up 3 eggs, a slop of vanilla extract, 2/3c sunflower oil, and slosh of orange juice. Whisk 'em all up with a fork. Abandon fork for mixing spoon.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Taste. Chop up a good amount of dried apricots and churn them in.
- Spoon batter into wee loaf pans, bake for 30min at 375°F.
- Consume.
The little loaves are quite cute and yummy! I should've baked them a bit longer ... I think because I did loaves instead of muffins (there's no muffin pan here) the centers didn't cook completely. But they're still tasty, and this way the dogs get to sample them too (they don't mind the little uncooked parts).
I'm getting very cold again sitting inside, so now it's time to fetch my adorable hat and go out in the garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment